King’s is home to over 30,000 students from at least 150 different countries, and how you fit into our diverse and vibrant community is important to us. It can be overwhelming meeting so many new people, but here at King’s we find value in seeing the world through the lens of other people in all their diversity – and that is why cultural competency matters.
To build your awareness of global cultures and explore topics like equality, power, intersectionality and social justice, you can choose from two cultural competency innovation modules for next academic year.
What is cultural competency?
Cultural competency cuts across many different levels, including:
- Understanding our own identity
- How we relate to others
- How we think about belonging
- How we can make a positive impact in the world
An essential component in the future global workforce – this is your chance to develop your understanding of cultural competency and boost your self-awareness, empathy and critical consciousness for your life and career beyond King’s.
Choosing the Cultural Competency module
By taking a Cultural Competency module, you have the chance to meet and work with peers from across the university and gain:
- Critical awareness of the core issues surrounding cultural competency, such as power, equality, positionality, intersectionality and social justice
- Conceptual and practical 'know-how', with which to implement this awareness in your academic, professional and everyday life.
- The opportunity to collaborate with peers from across King’s – the module is inter-disciplinary and an opportunity to learn with students from across courses and faculties.
- Essential skills for the workplace enabling you to be an effective global citizen
Offered by many departments, undergraduate second and third-year students from across King's can choose from one of two cross-disciplinary Cultural Competency modules for the 2023-24 academic year.
Your module selection window is 20 March to 7 April and no pre-requisites are required for the modules.
Modules available for 2023
5ACC0001 – Cultural Competency: Practice and Professionalism
This module introduces you to the basic conceptual and practical tools that will help you develop a new set of values, knowledge, and skills so you can work effectively cross-culturally in your future career.
6ACC0001 – Cultural Competency: Mixing Methods, From Knowing to Doing.
In this module, world-class scholars from across King’s faculties will teach you a set of methodological frameworks rooted in their own disciplines but applicable to positive cultural changes across disciplines.
Cultural Competency Kickstarter
Can’t take an accredited module? You can still benefit from cultural competency training with the Cultural Competency Kickstarter on KEATS, a self-paced online module for King’s students.
Find out more about the modules available at King’s on the Cultural Competency webpages.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com