Dr Edoardo Bressanelli
Lecturer in European Politics
Tel + 44 (0)20 7848 1289
Address Department of European & International Studies
King's College London
Room 4.15 Virginia Woolf Building
London WC2B 6LE
Visiting Fellow, Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies, European University Institute (Florence)
(from January 2017)
Research interests and PhD supervision
Dr Edoardo Bressanelli obtained his PhD in Political and Social Sciences from the European University Institute in Florence. He also completed a MA and a BA in Political Sciences and International Relations from the University of Pisa (Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies). Before moving to King's, Edoardo was a post-doc fellow at LUISS Guido Carli – School of Government in Rome, and taught European politics at James Madison University. He joined King’s College London as a Lecturer in European Politics in September 2013.
- EU Institutions and Politics
- Comparative European Politics
- Political Parties and Party Systems
Edoardo's main research interests and areas of expertise are on the EU institutions and decision-making, political parties and party systems, and Italian politics. He has recently written a book on the impact of enlargement on the EU's political parties (Palgrave Macmillan, 2014), and several articles on the European Parliament.
He is interested in supervising PhD students in his areas of expertise.
- Bressanelli, E. and N. Chelotti (2016) “The Shadow of the European Council: Understanding Legislation on Economic Governance”. Journal of European Integration (forthcoming)
- Bressanelli, E, Koop, C. and C. Reh (2016) “The Informalization of EU Legislative Politics: Early Agreements and Voting Cohesion”. European Union Politics, 17:1, 91-113.
- Bressanelli, E. (2015) “The May 2014 European Parliament elections: once more ‘second-order’?”, in C. Hanretty and S. Profeti (eds) Italian Politics 2014, Bologna: Il Mulino (in Italian) and Oxford: Berghahn (in English).
- Bressanelli, E. (2015) “Mapping the Europarties’ ideological development”, in F. Mueller Rommel and F. Casal Bertoa (eds) Party Politics and Democracy in Europe, London: Routledge (West European Politics Series).
- Bressanelli, E. (2014) “Necessary Deepening? How parties in the European Parliament adapt to enlargement”, Journal of European Public Policy, 21:5, 776-792.
Expertise and public engagement
Over recent years, Edoardo has taught courses on EU integration, political parties, British, Italian and comparative politics. This has included teaching on the following modules:
- 4AAOB103 Introduction to Politics
- 5AAOB201 The Integration of the European Union
- 7AAOM008 Political Parties in Europe
Edoardo has contributed to several media outlets, including the BBC, Bloomberg, CNN, CCTV, CNBC, Danish Radio, De Tijd, La Nazione, Les Echos, Linkiesta, France 24, Radio Popolare, Radio Rai, Radio24, Reuters, IlSole24Ore.
He has co-authored the report “Political Parties and Political Foundations at European Level. Challenges and Opportunities” for the Constitutional Affairs Committee of the European Parliament.