Dr Edoardo Bressanelli
Lecturer in European Politics
Tel + 44 (0)20 7848 1289
Address Department of European & International Studies
King's College London
Room 4.15 Virginia Woolf Building
London WC2B 6LE
Research interests and PhD supervision
Dr Edoardo Bressanelli obtained his PhD in Political and Social Sciences from the European University Institute in Florence. He also completed a MA and a BA in Political Sciences and International Relations from the University of Pisa (Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies). Before moving to King's, Edoardo was a post-doc fellow at LUISS Guido Carli – School of Government in Rome, and taught European politics at James Madison University. He joined King’s College London as a Lecturer in European Politics in September 2013.
- EU Institutions and Politics
- Comparative European Politics
- Political Parties and Party Systems
Edoardo's research focuses upon EU institutions and political parties, but he is also interested in the EU decision-making process and on methodological issues in comparative research. In particular, he is completing a monograph on the impact of enlargement on political parties at the EU level and he is currently working on the effects of the informalisation of decision-making in the EU on party behaviour. He is also writing on Italian politics, especially the Europeanisation of its parties and elites.
He would be keen to hear from prospective PhD students in his areas of expertise.
- Bressanelli, E. and N. Chelotti (2016) “The Shadow of the European Council: Understanding Legislation on Economic Governance”. Journal of European Integration (forthcoming)
- Bressanelli, E, Koop, C. and C. Reh (2016) “The Informalization of EU Legislative Politics: Early Agreements and Voting Cohesion”. European Union Politics, 17:1, 91-113.
- Bressanelli, E. (2015) “The May 2014 European Parliament elections: once more ‘second-order’?”, in C. Hanretty and S. Profeti (eds) Italian Politics 2014, Bologna: Il Mulino (in Italian) and Oxford: Berghahn (in English).
- Bressanelli, E. (2015) “Mapping the Europarties’ ideological development”, in F. Mueller Rommel and F. Casal Bertoa (eds) Party Politics and Democracy in Europe, London: Routledge (West European Politics Series).
- Bressanelli, E. (2014) “Necessary Deepening? How parties in the European Parliament adapt to enlargement”, Journal of European Public Policy, 21:5, 776-792.
Expertise and public engagement
Over recent years, Edoardo has taught courses on EU integration, the European Parliament, Comparative, British and Italian Politics. Currently, he is teaching:
- 4AAOB103 Introduction to Politics
- 4AAOB109 The Making of Modern Europe
- 7AAOM008 Political Parties in Europe (MA)