Our Leadership & People Management programme is an intensive short course offering ideas, latest thinking, and lessons from practice. It equips participants to lead individuals, teams and organisations through uncertain times.
Drawing on leading research, the course content is built on two fundamental pillars:
- Theory & evidence - Together we will explore contemporary perspectives on leadership, understand organisations as political entities and how leadership operates in that context, and the role of emotions in leadership (including developing and utilising emotional intelligence effectively).
- Experiences of leadership - You will participate in an in-depth simulation of an organisational system in which you will experiment, step back, observe and notice. You will work and lead across organisational boundaries and research and reflect upon the impact of leadership on others.
Indicative programme outline
|Understanding effective people management & leadership
- Politics in the workplace & understanding people management.
- Leadership experiences & stories from leadership journeys.
- Emotions in leadership & strategies for harnessing emotions for effective leadership.
|Simulation exercise led by the Tavistock Institute
An in-depth simulation of an organisational system in which participants:
- Experiment in organisational life, stepping back, observing and noticing.
- Work and lead across organisational boundaries.
- Research and reflect upon the impact of your leadership on others.
|Leading a professional workforce
- Leading change.
- Decision making.
- How to build a committed team.
- Individual coaching.
- Individual project workshop.
- Group farewell lunch.
Presentation of your individual case study
- Course wrap up and lunch.
This day can be attended in person or remotely depending on your location and travel options.
*Please note the exact timetable may be subject to change.
- Teaching - Four in-person teaching days including case studies and the opportunity to discuss your own work challenges.
- Location - King’s central London campuses.
Terms and Conditions for executive short courses
Book a consultation
Who is this course for?
- High-potential managers & leaders and specialist professionals.
- This course is ideal if you are taking on a new or larger team, or new responsibilities.
- Relevant professional experience and motivation evidenced through an online application form.
- At least five years of work experience in a relevant context and some line management experience.
- This course is taught entirely in English and you must be able to converse, interact and write in English to be able to participate fully in the course.
- The full fee for this course is £2,950.
- An Early Bird saving of 15% will apply to all applications made on or before 24 April 2023 which cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers.
- If you are King's alumni, you will have 15% saving.
- We offer a number of corporate group and individual scholarships and bursaries to support financing your studies. We are also happy to support you in providing a business case for sponsorship from your employer.
Book a consultation
Innovative Programme Design
The curriculum of the course is both rigorous & interactive and includes case studies, simulations and real-world projects. Our Leadership & People Management programme offers:
- Leadership ideas and theory - Put executive leadership and organisational challenges in context and develop new ways of thinking and acting.
- Real-world insight - Learn first-hand how leaders across a range of sectors and professions have faced significant challenges and opportunities in real-world situations in order to learn from their successes (and failures).
- In-depth simulation - Understand your own leadership in the context of the ‘organisation’ and gain real-time feedback and insights in order to fulfil your leadership potential.
- Project & Coaching - Use the individual work-related project, supported by your own coach, to translate your new understanding directly into your own situation and embed your learning for the long term.
- Networking - Learn alongside managers & leaders from a broad range of roles, sectors and professions to bring you new perspectives & ideas.
- Join an executive community - On completion of the programme you will receive a certificate from King’s College London and will remain part of our executive education alumni community, offering you opportunities for continuing development, discounts on future courses and access to our thought leadership and events.
The Leadership Programme was the first post-graduate course I had done many, many years after finishing university. However, the structure and content made it very easy to quickly get into the swing of things with a nice blend between practical and theory. I particularly enjoyed the time spent on theory as this is of course missing from our practical workplaces. Getting a better understanding of key theories – especially emotional intelligence and group dynamics – was a helpful step back that I’m already applying within my own team.
Rebecca Poch – Head of Everyday Servicing at Barclays
Book a consultation
Learn from the experts
King’s College London is renowned for working closely with leading practitioners across a range of professions. This intensive programme blends expert academic and practitioner input, including an in-depth experiential workshop directed by the Tavistock Institute, who are the country’s leading institution in developing and supporting organisational leadership in an applied and practical way.
Over the course of the programme, we also invite guest speakers from industry to share their insights and discuss their own practice & leadership experiences.
Professor Baroness Wolf CBE is Sir Roy Griffiths Professor of Public Sector Management at King's Business School and a cross-bench peer. She has been a frequent consultant to governments and professional associations in the UK and abroad, and has a particular interest in the management of the professions.
Ali Budjanovcanin is a Lecturer in Organisational Psychology and Public Sector Management at King's Business School. She holds a PhD in Management Studies and her research interests focus on leadership in organisations, careers in private and public sector organisations, as well as emotions in the workplace.
Juliet integrates her background in the arts with a systems psychodynamic approach when working with leaders and supporting groups and organisations through complex cultural change. She is a director of TIHR professional development programmes in the UK and internationally.
This is a short leadership programme which means that individuals do not have to take significant time away from their work but even so, participants who undertake the King’s Leadership and People Management Programme travel quite a distance in leadership development terms over those four days. The Tavistock-led sessions, which include an in-depth simulation of an organisation plus individual coaching after the module itself, provide executives with a new and fundamental ability to question, analyse and understand their challenges and opportunities as leaders.
Juliet Scott, The Tavistock Institute
Book a consultation