The Guy’s, King’s College and St Thomas’ Hospitals (GKT) Gazette is the world’s oldest hospital journal, established as the Guy’s Hospital Gazette in 1872. Its formal purpose is to act as a chronicle and critique of all events concerning the life of the constituent Schools of the Guy’s Kings and St Thomas’ Medical and Dental Schools (GKT) of King’s College London and their associated Hospitals. The Gazette serves the students, staff and alumni associated with each hospital campus.
The oldest surviving edition of the Gazette (as far as we know), Volume II No.1, 1873. Courtesy of Bill Edwards, Curator of the Gordon Museum
The Gazette has been in continuous publication since 1872. There are continuous records in both hard copy and digital since 1876. It is officially recognised and has an ISSN publication number, with copies deposited in the British Library.
On merger of UMDS with King’s College London in 1998, the name was changed to the GKT Gazette. It remains a semi-autonomous publication representing and supported by the Clinical Schools of King’s College London (Medical, Dental, Nursing & Midwifery) but constitutionally independent from the university and students union and it has charitable status.
The Gazette is produced by a student editorial team led by the editors and their editorial team, supported by staff from the Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine, the faulty of Dental, Oral and Craniofacial Sciences and the School of Nursing and Midwifery and governed by a joint staff and student Gazette Committee.
The informal aim is to keep current and past students and staff of the GKT schools in touch with campus life as well as acting as a forum of discussion for all of these groups and to be a permanent record of all significant events affecting the clinical schools.