BHF Centre of Excellence
The King's British Heart Foundation (BHF) Centre of Research Excellence was established in April 2008 with funding from the BHF with the aim of promoting cutting edge research and training in cardiovascular research. In 2013 the BHF renewed their support and funding and a total of £15 million has been invested into the King's BHF Centre of Research Excellence.
The Centre brings together a unique range of internationally renowned scientists and clinicians from the School of Cardiovascular Medicine & Sciences, School of Biomedical Engineering & Imaging Sciences and Randall Centre of Cell & Molecular Biophysics who are focused on basic and applied work that leads to advances in the early diagnosis, prevention and treatment of heart diseases.
The Centre is directed by Professor Ajay Shah, BHF Professor of Cardiology at King’s, with a Steering Group comprising research theme leads.
The principal aims of the Centre of Research Excellence are to build upon the foundation of existing cardiovascular and related non-cardiovascular strengths at King’s to:
- Provide a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment which catalyses imaginative and innovative cardiovascular research programmes
- Place major emphasis on clinical translation, eventually leading to therapeutic advances in the areas of atherosclerosis, cardiac protection and cardiac failure
- Engage non-cardiovascular and non-biomedical scientists to direct their expertise to cardiovascular problems
- Deliver outstanding research training and a nurturing environment for clinical and non-clinical scientists.
To nurture a critical mass of high quality multi-disciplinary scientists within a highly collaborative environment that catalyses internationally-leading cardiovascular research programmes.
To be a beacon that attracts talented individuals to research training programmes and careers in cardiovascular science and academic medicine.
Steering Group Members
- Professor Ajay Shah (Chair) Head, Cardiovascular
- Professor Metin Avkiran
- Professor Phil Blower
- Professor Rene Botnar
- Professor Sue Brain
- Professor Philip Chowienczyk
- Professor Philip Eaton
- Professor Mathias Gautel
- Professor Malcolm Irving
- Professor Michael Marber
- Professor Manuel Mayr
- Professor Kinya Otsu
- Professor Reza Razavi
- Professor Catherine Shanahan
- Professor Qingbo Xu