KEATS Upgrade 2020
KEATS (Moodle) has been upgraded to Moodle Version 3.9. This upgrade brings some new functionality and a refreshed look and feel.
The upgrade took place on the morning of the 18th August 2020.
Highlighted features of Moodle 3.9 are:
- New Course overview;
- Forum enhancements;
- Improvements and new features for Learning Analytics;
- Improved H5P (rich content) integration;
- Security to be up to date with latest bug fixes;
- Web accessibility improvements;
- Plugin updates for various apps and some new additions;
Moodle 3.9 Overview (YouTube video)
For more information and queries please contact email@example.com.
Improved Course Overview
Visual Activity Chooser
The Course Overview / Dashboard will be improved to allow for improved navigability. You can:
- Sort by 'Course Name' or 'Last Accessed'
- 'Star' courses for easy access
- Easily hide courses you don't need on your dashboard
- Identify Course Categories
[Click image to expand]
Improved H5P integration
The Activity Chooser within KEATS courses has an improved visual layout allowing for starred and recommended activities and resources.
Popular activities and resource types can be ‘starred’ or 'recommended' allowing your favourite or most frequently used activities and resource types will be grouped together, making them easier to find and add to your courses.
[Click to image to expand]
H5P is an abbreviation for HTML5 Package. It enables youto create content such as interactive videos, quizzes and presentations.
- H5P activities can be created, edited and added to KEATS via a new Content Bank.
- H5P activities will now be able to connect to the KEATS Gradebook and have completion criteria set for them.
In developing Moodle 3.9, an accessibility audit was undertaken. This covered 20 of the most used pages in Moodle, including the Dashboard and many of the Activities, as well as aspects of the Gradebook.
The audit has identified and fixed accessibility issues on these pages.
The filtering functionality in a courses Participants page has been improved so that you can easily sort and filter the students in your courses. The new, more advanced search queries and logical operators (‘and’, ‘or’, ‘not’) allow you to narrow your filtering to show you exactly the participants you’re looking for.
[Click image to expand]
Post Upgrade Improvements
A part of Kings commitment to inclusive education, Blackboard Ally, an accessibility tool available via KEATS, is being implemented in Summer 2020and available for staff and students prior to the start of the 20/21 Academic Year.
- Blackboard Ally adds value to KEATS and assists staff with understanding accessibility considerations and facilitate the creation of more accessible content available from KEATS.
- Blackboard Ally does not fix content, but highlights issues and provides support as to how to improve accessibility.
- This allows for greater awareness of accessibility considerations and allows colleagues to implement the practice they learn on documentation/content which resides outside of KEATS.
Why Blackboard Ally? (PDF Guide)
To improve opportunities for virtual laboratory enagagement, two products have been purchased. These will be integrated with KEATS to allow students a seamless access experience and ensure grades can be returned to the KEATS Gradebook if required.