Professor Andrea Biondi
Office hours: Tuesday 11.00 - 13.00, 14.00 - 15.00
Research interests and PhD supervision
Andrea Biondi is Professor of European Union Law and the Director of the Centre for European Law at King’s College London. He is a visiting professor at the College of Europe in Warsaw, Georgetown University and Universidade Católica Portuguesa of Lisbon. He is a member of the Bar of Florence as well as being an Academic Member of Francis Taylor Buildings Chambers in London. Professor Biondi is on the International Advisory Board of European Public Law, King’s College Law Journal, European State Aid Law Quarterly and the European Public Private Partnership Law Review.
Andrea’s research interest is European Union law, with particular emphasis on the judicial protection of EU rights and regulation of trade. He has written extensively on the notion of effective judicial protection and on the pros and cons of harmonisation of procedural rules at the European Level. As regards trade law, he is particularly interested in the free movement of goods and services. His interest in EU State aid law focuses mainly on the question of how an appropriate balance can be struck between trade liberalization and the role of the State in the economy.
PhD students & topics
- Alessandro Spano, PhD: 'Market Integration in China: Relevance of the EU experience'.
- Stefanie Ripley, PhD: 'The Posted Workers Directive in light of the free movement of services and fundamental rights'.
- Eleni Papasozomenou’ Banking as SGEI’
- Silvia Bartolini’ The new Urgent Preliminary Reference Procedure’
- Maris Kask’ The EU Return Directive’
- A. Biondi, E. Dagylite and E.Kuku (eds) Solidarity in EU Law: Legal Principle in the Making, a Edward Elgar Publishing, Dec 2015.
- A.Biondi & P. Birkinshaw (eds.), Britain Alone! The Implications and Consequences of the UK Exit from the EU , Kluwer Law International, Nov 2015
- ‘State Aid is falling, falling down: an analysis of the concept of ‘aid’ in the acquis of the EU Courts’, in 50 Common Market Law Review, 2013, 1719.
- ‘EU Procedural Law’ in R Patterson & A. Sodersten, The Companion to EU and international Law, Wiley’s, forthcoming.
- ‘20 years on: Francovich and damages in state aid cases’ in Schepisi (eds) State aid control and national courts, Turin, 2013, 103.
- ‘Subsidiarety in the Courtroom’ in A. Biondi & P. Eeckhout (eds.), The Future of EU law after the Lisbon Treaty’ OUP, Oxford (2012), 213.
- 'The rationale of State aid control: a return to orthodoxy', in Cambridge Yearbook of EU Law, 2010, 35.
View full list of Professor Biondi's publications