Professor Alexander Türk
Research interests and PhD supervision
Alexander Türk studied history (MA) and law (first and second state exams) in Augsburg, Germany. He obtained an LLM in European Law at the College of Europe in Bruges, Belgium (1994-95). He also holds a PhD from the University of London. He worked as Lecturer at the European Institute of Public Administration in Maastricht, Netherlands (1995-96) before joining the Dickson Poon School of Law in 1996 as a DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Lektor.
Professor Türk is Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes. He is also Director of' the Postgraduate Diploma/MA in EU Law (by Distance Learning). Additionally, Professor Türk is General Editor of LexisNexis EU Tracker. He teaches on the London Programmes of the London Law Consortium and Pepperdine University, California. He is an adjunct Professor of Georgetown University, Washington.
Professor Türk’s principal research interests are in the field of European Union Law and in particular its constitutional and administrative law. He is also interested in comparative constitutional law and US constitutional and administrative Law. His main research focus is on the delegation of powers in EU law and in national constitutional laws. He has also developed the idea of Europe’s integrated administration (together with Prof. Herwig Hofmann, Luxembourg) and has published several books and articles in the field of EU administrative law.
PhD students & topics
- Esin Kucuk, PhD: ‘International Burden Sharing In The European Union: A Comparative Analysis’ (first supervisor)
- Gianni Lo Schiavo, PhD: ‘The Impact of the Financial Crisis on the European Economic Constitution. Bridging the gap between sovereign debt control and banking Regulation in EU law’ (first supervisor)
- Silvia Bartolini, PhD: ‘How Urgent Is Urgent: An Analysis Of The Impact Of The Up On Individual Rights Protection And On The Role Of The Court Of Justice’ (second supervisor)
- Maria Sofia Simoes Marques Da Silva, PhD: ‘Course Terrorist Finance: What Role For The EU’ (second supervisor)
- Mariana Tavares, PhD: ‘Competition Law: a Case for Subsidiarity?’ (second supervisor)
- Legal Challenges in EU Administrative Law: Towards an Integrated Administration (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2009), co-edited with Prof. H.C.H. Hofmann
- Judicial Review in EU Law (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2009)
- EU Administrative Law and Policy (OUP, 2011), together with Prof. H.C.H. Hofmann and Prof. Gerard Rowe
- ‘Lawmaking after Lisbon’, in A. Biondi, P. Eeckhout, S. Ripley (eds.), EU Law after Lisbon (OUP, 2012), pp. 62-84
- ‘Die Ausübung übertragener Normsetzungsbefugnisse durch die Europäische Kommission – Verfahrensrecht in einer neuen Dimension’, (2012) 27(2) Zeitschrift für Gesetzgebung, together with Herwig Hofmann)
- ‘Oversight of Administrative Rule-making: Judicial Review’, (2013) 19(1) European Law Journal 126-142
- 'Judicial Review of Integrated Administration in the EU', in Hofmann, H. C. H. & Turk, A. (eds) Legal Challenges in EU Administrative Law: Towards an Integrated Administration (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2009)
View full list of Professor Türk’s publications
- EU Administrative Law
- European Constitutional Law 1: Foundations