Dr Angela Huyue Zhang
Telephone: (+44) 020 7848 1712
Room: SW 3.26
See Dr Zhang's CV (pdf)
Dr Angela Zhang is a Senior Lecturer in competition law and trade (Associate Professor equivalent) at King’s. Her research focuses on applying economic analysis to the study of transnational legal issues. Specifically, she seeks to explore how institutional factors drive the legal outcomes affecting global businesses. She is currently working on two empirical projects: one on the clash between antitrust and China and the other on the behaviour of EU judges.
Angela’s work has been published by academic journals including Stanford Journal of International Law, University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law, Cornell International Law Journal and Journal of Competition Law and Economics. In 2014, she received the Concurrence Antitrust Writing Award for her study on bureaucratic politics in Chinese antitrust law. In 2015, her work on EU judges was chosen to be presented at the Stanford International Junior Faculty Forum. Angela is also frequently invited to speak at antitrust conferences in the United States, Europe and Asia. Her research has attracted media inquiries from The Economist, The New York Times and Reuters, and she regularly contributes op-eds to the popular press.
Before joining academia, Angela practiced bankruptcy law at Debevoise & Plimpton in New York and antitrust law at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton in Brussels. She also has practice experience in Beijing, Hong Kong and London. She was admitted to the New York bar in 2009.
Angela received her LLB from Peking University in 2004 and her JSD (2011), JD (2008) and LLM (2006) from the University of Chicago Law School. While at Chicago, she wrote her doctoral dissertation under the supervision of Judge Richard A Posner.
Inspired by her practice experience in different jurisdictions, Angela is particularly interested in exploring the institutional dynamics underlying the legal challenges faced by international businesses. The main theme of her research is the application of economic analysis to the study of transnational and current legal issues. She is currently working on two projects:
Antitrust and China
This project explores the clash between antitrust, a body of law originally designed to address market failures in Western democracies, and China, an economic superpower under authoritarian control. Set against the context of China's increasing integration with the globalised market, this project analyses two simultaneous sources of conflict: the significant challenges Chinese antitrust regulations pose for foreign multinational companies doing business in China and the tremendous difficulties Chinese firms face in complying with antitrust rules in foreign countries. Angela has published a number of articles on this topic and her book manuscript is currently under contract with Oxford University Press.
Behaviour of EU Judges
Her second project studies the behaviour of EU judges and is supported by a two-year research grant from the British Academy. Angela is working with scholars from political science and statistics departments on a number of empirical questions on this topic.
- ‘The Faceless Court’, 38 University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law (forthcoming 2016)
- 'Taming the Chinese Leviathan, Is Antitrust Regulation A False Hope?', 51 Stanford Journal of International Law 195 (2015)
- 'Bureaucratic Politics and China’s Anti-Monopoly Law', 47 Cornell International Law Journal 671(2014)
- 'Foreign Direct Investment from China: Sense and Sensibility', 34 Northwestern Journal of International Law & Business 395 (2014)
- 'Toward an Economic Approach to Agency Agreements', 9 Journal of Competition Law & Economics 553 (2013)
- 'The Single Entity Theory: An Antitrust Time-Bomb for Chinese State-Owned Enterprises?', 8 Journal of Competion Law & Economics 805 (2012)
- 'The Enforcement of China’s Anti-Monopoly Law: A Perspective on the Institutional Design', 56 Antitrust Bulletin 630 (2011)
View Dr Zhang's publications on SSRN
View full list of Dr Zhang's publications
See Dr Zhang's CV (pdf)
- Law & Economics
- EU Competition Law
- New System of Competition Law
- Don’t Panic, China Is Not Buying the World, Nikkei Asian Review, Jan. 29, 2015 (Link)
- Who Is Guarding China’s Trust Busters? Nikkei Asian Review, August 26, 2014 (Link)
- Trust-busting in China: Unequal Before the Law? The Economist, August 23, 2014
- China’s Energetic Antitrust Enforcement of Antitrust Rules Alarms Foreign Firms, New York Times, August 10, 2014
- China Regulator Determines Qualcomm Has Monopoly – State Run Newspaper, REUTERS, July 24, 2014