Dr Christopher Townley
Research interests and PhD supervision
Chris joined King’s College London as a lecturer in 2007. He received his BA in Law from Durham University, an LLM from the College of Europe, Bruges and a Ph.D. from the European University Institute, Florence (Article 81 EC Treaty: putting public policy in its place). Previously, Chris worked as a solicitor at Clifford Chance LLP and then as Principal Case Officer at The Office of Fair Trading. Since joining King's, Chris has provided teaching and/ or advice to several bodies, including The Egyptian Competition Authority, The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (Thailand), The NHS, the Office of Fair Trading, Ofcom and The Pakistan Competition Commission.
Chris’ research interests lie in the relationship between competition law, particularly European competition law and other public policy areas, such as environmental or cultural policy. He has recently started three new research projects, one examining centralisation and decentralisation in the European Competition Network; one on the relevance of discrimination in EU competition law; and the third on power structures within the International Competition Network.
Chris supervises competition and consumer law related research for LLB, LLM, MA and MPhil/PhD students.
PhD students & topics
- Christy Burzio, PhD: 'Redefining Corporate Governance: A Case Study on Leniency Within Competition Laws and Policy'
- Mariana Tavares, PhD: 'Competition Law and Public Policy: a case for subsidiarity'
- Arthur Guerra de Andrade Filho, PhD: 'Party Political Donations and their Impact on Competition Decisions in Brazil'
- Jones, A. & Townley, C. 'Competition Law', in European Union Law. Barnard, C. & Peers, S. (eds.). First ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 504-38.
- Townley, C. Co-ordinated diversity: revolutionary suggestions for EU competition law (and for EU law too), 33 Yearbook of European Law, 194-244.
- Townley, C., Shahein, H., and Whish, R., 'Co-Operating in the Development of Competition Law and Economics Academics in New Jurisdictions'; book chapter in, Whish, R., and Townley, C., (Eds.) New Competition Jurisdictions: Shaping Policies and Building Institutions (2012) Edward Elgar, Cheltenham
- Townley, C., and Laporta Cardinali, A., ‘A Utilização dos Precedentes da União Europeia No Direito Concorrencial Brasileiro’; book chapter in, Grandino Rodas, J., (Ed.) Direito Econômico e Social (2012) Editora Revista dos Tribunais, São Paulo
- Townley, C. Inter-Generational Impacts in Competition Analysis: remembering those not yet born, (2011) 11 European Competition Law Review 580-590
- Townley, C. The Relevant Market: an acceptable limit to competition analysis?, (2011) 10 European Competition Law Review 490-499
- Townley, C. Which Goals Count in Article 101 TFEU?: public policy and its discontents, (2011) 9 European Competition Law Review 441-448
- Townley, C. 'The Goals of Chapter I of the UK's Competition Act 1998' (2010) Yearbook of European Law, 29, 1, 307-360
- Townley, C. Article 81 EC and Public Policy (2009) Oxford: Hart
View the full list of Dr Townley’s publications.
- EU Competition Law
- Consumer Protection: Advising Global Businesses and their Customers
- Competition Law & Regulated Network Industries
- Economics of Competition Law