Dr Federico Ortino
Research interests and PhD supervision
Dr Federico Ortino is Reader in International Economic Law at King’s College London. He joined King’s in 2007. He is a member of the ILA Committee on International Trade Law; founding Committee Member (and now co-Treasurer) of the Society of International Economic Law; consultative member of the Investment Treaty Forum; editorial board member of the Journal of International Economic Law; Yearbook on International Investment Law and Policy, and Journal of International Dispute Settlement.
Previously, he was co-rapporteur to the ILA Committee on the Law of Foreign Investment; Director, Investment Treaty Forum, British Institute of International and Comparative Law in London (2005-2007); Adjunct Professor at the Universities of Florence and Trento (2002-2007); Emile Noël Fellow and Fulbright Scholar at the NYU Jean Monnet Center in New York (2004); Legal Officer at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, Division on Investment and Enterprises (2003). He is a qualified attorney in Italy and in the state of New York. He holds: LLB, University of Florence; LLM, Georgetown University Law Center; PhD, European University Institute.
Dr Ortino’s research centres on international economic law focusing in particular on WTO law, international investment law and arbitration and EU internal market law. In previous writing, he has addressed principles such as non-discrimination, reasonableness, and proportionality employed in various legal systems as instruments for international economic governance. He has recently focused on the regulation of trade in services within the WTO and in regional trade agreements. His current research is concerned with the legitimacy challenges faced by the emerging system of international investment law focusing in particular on the role of investment tribunals.
Current PhD students & topics
- "Stockpiling and Hoarding Essential Natural Resources: the Equitable Global Allocation and Distribution of Essential Natural Resources through Trade" Elaine Kellman
- “The Dialectic of International Investment Juris¬prudence: A Philo¬sophical Analysis of Constituent Moments and Mediating Forces of International Investment Law” Stefan Mandelbaum
- "History and development of equitable treatment in international trade and investment law" Mona Pinchis
- "A comparative Study of Methods for the Valuation of Damages and Compensation in International Investment Arbitration" Grigore Octav Stan (MPhil) (MPhil)
- "Confidentiality in Arbitration: A Comparative Study" Mariam El-Awa
- "The Role of Arbitration in Redressing Power Imbalances in Foreign Investment Disputes" Shokouh Hossein Abadi
- Basic Legal Instruments for the Liberalisation of Trade: a Comparative Analysis of EC and WTO Law (Oxford, Hart Publishing, 2004)
- The Regulation of Goods, Volume II (eds.) (Ashgate Publishing, 2013) (co-edited with L Bartels)
- Oxford Handbook of International Investment Law (eds.) (Oxford, OUP, 2008) (co-edited with P Muchlinski & C Schreuer)
Contributions to edited collections
- “Public Services, Investment Liberalization and Protection”, Zdenek Drabek and Petros Mavroidis (eds.) Regulation of Foreign Investment: Challenges to International Harmonization (World Scientific Publishing, 2013) pp. 395-416
- “Transparency of Investment Awards: External and Internal Dimensions”, Junji Nakagawa (ed.) Transparency in International Trade and Investment Dispute Settlement (Routledge, 2013) pp. 119-158
View full list of Dr Ortino’s publications.
- International Investment Law
- World Trade Law