Professor Lorenzo Zucca
Research interests and PhD supervision
Lorenzo Zucca is Professor in Law & Philosophy. He holds the degrees of Maitrise from Paris 2 Assas, DEA from Paris 1 Sorbonne, Mjur from The University of Oxford and a PhD from EUI, Florence.
Professor Zucca's research interests are in jurisprudence, constitutional theory, EU constitutional law and human rights. He is the author of Constitutional Dilemmas- Conflicts of Fundamental Legal Rights in Europe and the USA (OUP, 2007) and articles on European human rights law and theory. His last book is entitled A Secular Europe: Law and Religion in the European Constitutional Landscape (OUP 2012). This is a study of one of the most pressing legal social and political problems in Europe and includes issues such as the ECHR protection of religious freedom, EU policies against Islamic terrorism, EU enlargement to Turkey and a wider debate on European identity. He’s now working on a project entitled Shakespeare’s Justice, which examines the law, politics, religion and philosophy of Shakespeare’s plays.
PhD students & topics
- Lorenzo Zucca, A Secular Europe: Law and Religion in the European Constitutional Landscape, OUP, 2012
- (ed. with Camil Ungureanu) Law, State and Religion in the New Europe, CUP 2012
- Constitutional Dilemmas: Conflicts of Fundamental Legal Rights in Europe and the USA (OUP, 2007)
- 'Lautsi: A commentary of the Grand Chamber decision', International Journal of Constitutional Law, 2013, 11 (1), 218-229
- 'Monism and Fundamental Rights' in Pavlos Elefteriadis & Julie Dickson, Philosophy of EU Law, OUP, 2012, 331-353
- Shedding Light on the Conspiracy: A Reply to 'The Sacred Conspiracy: Religion, Nationalism and the Crisis of Internationalism', Leiden Journal of International Law, 25/1, pp. 55-66
- 'Montesquieu, Methodological Pluralism and Comparative Constitutional Law', European Constitutional Law Review (2009) 5, 3, 481-500
- 'Conflicts of Fundamental Rights as Constitutional Dilemmas', in Brems, E. (ed) Conflicts between fundamental rights (Antwerp: Intersentia, 2008)
View full list of Dr Zucca’s publications.
- Jurisprudence & Legal Theory
- European Constitutional Law 2: European Human Rights