Professor Lorenzo Zucca
Research interests and PhD supervision
Professor Lorenzo Zucca is Reader in Jurisprudence. He holds the degrees of Maitrise from Paris 2 Assas, DEA from Paris 1 Sorbonne, Mjur from The University of Oxford and a PhD from EUI, Florence.
Lorenzo's special interests are in jurisprudence, constitutional theory, EU constitutional law and human rights. He is the author of Constitutional Dilemmas- Conflicts of Fundamental Legal Rights in Europe and the USA (OUP, 2007) and articles on European human rights law and theory. He is currently working on a book on the relationship between law and religion in the European public sphere, which will be published by OUP under the title A Secular Europe: Law and Religion in the European Constitutional Landscape, OUP 2012. This is a study of one of the most pressing legal social and political problems in Europe and includes issues such as the ECHR protection of religious freedom, EU policies against Islamic terrorism, EU enlargement to Turkey and a wider debate on European identity.
PhD students & topics
- Lorenzo Zucca, A Secular Europe: Law and Religion in the European Constitutional Landscape, OUP, 2012
- (ed. with Camil Ungureanu) Law, State and Religion in the New Europe, CUP 2012
- Constitutional Dilemmas: Conflicts of Fundamental Legal Rights in Europe and the USA (OUP, 2007)
- 'Lautsi: A commentary of the Grand Chamber decision', International Journal of Constitutional Law, 2013, 11 (1), 218-229
- 'Monism and Fundamental Rights' in Pavlos Elefteriadis & Julie Dickson, Philosophy of EU Law, OUP, 2012, 331-353
- Shedding Light on the Conspiracy: A Reply to 'The Sacred Conspiracy: Religion, Nationalism and the Crisis of Internationalism', Leiden Journal of International Law, 25/1, pp. 55-66
- 'Montesquieu, Methodological Pluralism and Comparative Constitutional Law', European Constitutional Law Review (2009) 5, 3, 481-500
- 'Conflicts of Fundamental Rights as Constitutional Dilemmas', in Brems, E. (ed) Conflicts between fundamental rights (Antwerp: Intersentia, 2008)
View full list of Dr Zucca’s publications.
- Jurisprudence & Legal Theory
- European Constitutional Law 2: European Human Rights