Professor Robert Wintemute
Research interests and PhD supervision
Robert Wintemute is a Professor of Human Rights Law. He joined the Dickson Poon School of Law in 1991 after practising as an Associate in the Bankruptcy Department at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP in New York, 1982-87. In 1978, Professor Wintemute completed his BA in Economics at the University of Alberta (which included a year at Université Laval). In 1982, he earned his LLB (common law) and BCL (Québec civil law) in the National Programme at McGill University. In 1993, he was awarded his DPhil by the University of Oxfor
Professor Wintemute’s special interests lie in Human Rights Law, Anti-Discrimination Law, European Union Law, and Sexual Orientation and the Law.
PhD students & topics:
Former PhD students & topics:
- Kirsten Roberts, National Human Rights Institutions: A New Approach to Defining and Improving Effectiveness (2016) (first supervisor).
- Parinaz Raisi, Human Rights of Women in Iran: The Tradition/Modernity Binary (2016) (second supervisor).
- Vanja Hamzic, A History in the Making: Muslim Sexual and Gender Diversity between International Human Rights Law and Islamic Law (2013) (first supervisor).
- Nayia Kamenou, ‘Cyprus is the Country of Heroes, Not of Homosexuals’: Sexuality, Gender and Nationhood in Cyprus (2012) (second supervisor).
- "Accommodating Religious Beliefs: Harm, Clothing or Symbols, and Refusals to Serve Others", in Modern Law Review, 2014, Vol 77 (2), p. 223–253.
- “Europe’s Last Colony: 1918 Palestine’s Arab Majority, Jewish Immigration, and the Justice of Founding Israel outside Europe”, in Social and Legal Studies 2012, volume. 21, p.121-134.
- Confronting Homophobia in Europe: Social and Legal Perspectives. Trappolin, L. (ed.). Gasparini, A. (ed) & Wintemute, R. (ed). Oxford: Hart Publishing, 2012.
- “Same-sex love and Indian penal code §377: An important human rights issue for India”, inNUJS Law Review 2011, volume 4, p.31-65.
- “The Human Rights Act’s First Five Years: Too Strong, Too weak or Just Right?” in King’s College Law Journal 2006, volume 17, p. 209-228.
View full list of Professor Wintemute’s publications.
- Human Rights Law
- Anti-Discrimination Law
- European Union Law