Dr Thomas Schultz
Reader in Commercial Law
Dr Thomas Schultz is primarily interested in transnational business law (a subset of commercial law taken in a broad sense), for which he combines approaches taken from commercial law, international law (private and public), the area of dispute settlement, and legal philosophy. His four books deal with questions regarding the notion of transnational stateless law, international arbitration, e-commerce and Internet law, and the rule of law. Other publications range over investment arbitration, the history and general theory of private international law, consumer protection, and a few other areas. His work has been awarded the Jubilee Prize of the Swiss Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences.
He has taught in private and public international law, dispute resolution, contract law, and legal philosophy at King's, the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, the University of Geneva, the Catholic University of Lille, and the Thunderbird School of Global Management. He has also taught and advised business executives and government officials in various business areas, with an emphasis on dispute resolution, investment law, foreign investment policy, and oil & gas.
He is the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of International Dispute Settlement (OUP).
- Commercial law
- International arbitration (commercial and investment)
- International law (private and public)
- Transnational law
- Legal philosophy
- Transnational Legality: Stateless Law and International Arbitration (OUP 2014)
- Information Technology & Arbitration (Kluwer 2006)
- Réguler le commerce électronique par la résolution des litiges en ligne (Bruylant 2005)
- Online Dispute Resolution (Kluwer 2004) (with G. Kaufmann-Kohler)
Books under contract (author)
- Artbitration: A Very Short Introduction (OUP) (with T. Grant)
- The Principle of Comity in Private and Public International Law (CUP) (with D. Holloway)
Books under contract (editor)
- The Oxford Handbook of International Arbitration (OUP) (with F. Ortino)
See Dr Schultz's Research Portal profile for full details of his publications.