Professor Thomas Schultz
Professor of Law
Thomas is Professor of Law at King’s College London (currently on research leave), and SNF Research Professor of International Law at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva. He works in the fields of arbitration, transnational commercial law, and legal theory. He also advises the industry, law firms, and governments on arbitration and on investment treaties and policies. Thomas is the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of International Dispute Settlement, and an editorial board member of four further journals and books series on arbitration, international law, transnational law, and legal philosophy.
His main current projects deal with comity in private and public international law, the empirics of investment arbitration, epistemology of law and the academic legal profession, analytic legal philosophy, and arbitration in general.
Thomas’s four previous books have dealt with questions regarding the notion of transnational stateless law, international arbitration, e-commerce and Internet law, and the rule of law without the state.
His work has been awarded the Jubilee Prize of the Swiss Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- International arbitration (commercial and investment)
- International law (private and public)
- Transnational law (theory and application in business)
- Legal philosophy (epistemology, rule of law, and analytic legal philosophy)
- Investment law
- Commercial law
- Transnational Legality: Stateless Law and International Arbitration (OUP 2014)
- Information Technology & Arbitration (Kluwer 2006)
- Réguler le commerce électronique par la résolution des litiges en ligne (Bruylant 2005)
- Online Dispute Resolution (Kluwer 2004) (with G. Kaufmann-Kohler)
Books under contract (author)
- Artbitration: A Very Short Introduction (OUP) (with T. Grant)
- Investment Arbitration as a Political System (Oxford University Press) (with C. Dupont and J. Yackee)
- International Arbitration Law and Theory (Hart / Bloomsbury) (with S. Brekoulakis)
Books under contract (editor)
- The Oxford Handbook of International Arbitration (OUP) (with F. Ortino)
See Dr Schultz's Research Portal profile for full details of his publications.
Thomas has taught the following subjects:
- International arbitration
- Investment arbitration
- International law and dispute resolution
- International investment law
- Law without the state
- Legal philosophy
- Contract law
- Public law
- Mediation and arbitration of intellectual property disputes
- Oil & gas dispute resolution
- Arbitration of natural resources and sustainable development