Mr Bruce-Jones is a Visiting Lecturer in Public International Law in the School of Law at King’s College London. He teaches courses in international legal theory and UK and EU equality law. He is also a Lecturer at the University of London, Birkbeck College School of Law, where he teaches EU Law. Mr Bruce-Jones is an expert member of The Oury Jalloh Independent Commission on Police Brutality and Due Process in Germany as well as LGBTI Resource Contact for The Southern Refugee Legal Aid Network. He is a non-resident doctoral researcher at the Institute for European Ethnology at Humboldt University of Berlin. He was previously an associate at the law firm Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, LLP in London. He holds an undergraduate degree from Harvard University (AB) and advanced degrees from King’s College London (LLM in Public International Law) Columbia University School of Law (JD) and Humboldt University of Berlin (MA).
Mr Bruce-Jones’ principal research includes human rights law, refugee law, comparative anti-discrimination law, legal theory, prison policy, and legal anthropology. He is currently finishing a project that investigates Black European perspectives on domestic and EU law in the UK and Germany. He is also involved in ongoing research on HIV-prevention programmes in prisons. He is currently beginning a comparative analysis on deaths of asylum seekers in police custody in the European Union.
- Bruce-Jones, E. “Defending our Blood: Litigation and Alternatives in the Establishment and Enforcement of HIV-Prevention Policies in Prisons in the United States, Canada, and Germany.” (In preparation).
- Bruce-Jones, E. “The Subject of Black European Ethnography: Mapping Epistemological Fieldspace.” (Submitted as symposium paper for publication by National Institute for the study of Dutch Slavery and its Legacy).
- Bruce-Jones, E. 2010 “Anthropology as Critical Legal Intervention? Instrumentalization, Co-Construction and Critical Reformulation in the Relationship between Anthropology and International Law” in 15 UCLA Journal of International Law and Foreign Affairs.
- Bruce-Jones, E. 2008. (with Joy Chia und Marta Kuklo), “Polish Clinical Legal Education: A Pilot Program in BiaBystok” in 2(1) Columbia Journal of East European Law, 56–93.
- Bruce-Jones, E. 2008. “Race, Space, and the Nation State: Racial Recognition and the Prospects of Substantive Equality under Anti-Discrimination Law in France and Germany” in 39(2) Columbia Human Rights Law Review, 423– 470.
- Bruce-Jones, E. 2007. Review of Alex Buchwald, Der Fall Tadic vor dem Internationalen Jugoslawientribunal im Lichte der Entscheidung der Berufungskammer vom 2. Oktober 1995 (2005). Austrian Review of International and European Law, Brill Academic Publishers: Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Bruce-Jones, E. 2006. Review of Klaus Dieter Beiter, The Right to Education Under International Law. MenschenRechtsMagazin, Heft 3, MenschenRechtsZentrum: Potsdam, Germany. (in German).
- Critical Perspectives in International Law
- Equality and the Law: The Legal Regulation of Discrimination