Josh read law at New College, Oxford where he obtained the highest first in the University in 1994, winning the Wronker Scholarship and the Administrative law prize. He remained at Oxford for the BCL, for which he was awarded a distinction and the HLA Hart Prize. He then spent a year at Harvard as Kennedy Scholar, studying for the LL.M. Following pupillage at Blackstone Chambers and the European Commission (DG COMP), Josh was elected to a Fellowship in Law at New College, Oxford in 1998. In 2001, he moved to University College London to teach EU law, competition law and utilities regulation; then, from 2002-2004, Josh served as référendaire to Advocate General Jacobs at the European Court of Justice; Josh joined King’s on his return from Luxembourg in September 2004.
Josh is interested in all aspects of European law and competition law and policy, particularly regulation and State Aid.
- Korah, V., and Holmes, J., Mini Reviews of Important European Competition Law Publications (2004) 49 Antitrust Bulletin 435-52
- Holmes, J., The control of State action under EC Competition law, in Korah, V., (ed.), Competition Law of the European Community, Lexis Nexis (2004)
- Holmes, J., The role of EC Competition law, in Ward, T., and Smith, K., (eds.) Competition Litigation: Practice and Procedure, Sweet and Maxwell (2004)
- Holmes, J., Fixing the Limits of EC Competition Law: state action and the accommodation of the public services, (2004) Current Legal Problems 149
- Holmes, J., Competition Law and Public Services, (2004) Competition Law Insight 22
- Holmes, J., Communications in EU Antitrust Law: Market Power and Public Interest, Antonio Bavasso (2003) World Competition 707-708 (Book review)
- Holmes, J., Competition Law and the Constitution for Europe, (2003) Competition Law Insight 3
- Holmes, J., Bettercare Group Ltd. v. DGFT, (2002) Competition Law Journal 109
- Holmes, J., Aberdeen Journals Ltd. v. DGFT, (2002) Competition Law Journal 117
- EU State Aid & State Regulation Law