Show/hide main menu

Student Guidance


Emergency Support

If it's an emergency and the crime is still taking place, call 999 and ask for the relevant emergency service. Blank space

The emergency services will contact King’s security to make arrangements to come on to campus and alert them of the incident.    

If there is more than one person available to offer support at the scene, both the emergency services and security can be contacted. If this is not possible, the emergency services should always be called in the first instance.  

Bullying, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct and Hate Crime

What counts as Bullying and Harassment?

Bullying is repeated behaviour which is intended to hurt someone either emotionally or physically. Harassment is unwanted conduct related to a relevant protected characteristic, which has the purpose or effect of violating an individual’s dignity or creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for that individual. 

Bullying and harassment do not necessarily occur face to face; they may occur in the form of written communications (including email, visual images, social media, telephone and SMS). Bullying and harassment can be initiated by someone in a position of authority; it may also be carried out by an individual or a group of individuals.

What is the difference between sexual misconduct, violence, sexual assault and sexual harassment?

Sexual misconduct is a broad term encompassing any unwelcome behaviour of a sexual nature that is committed without consent or by force, intimidation, coercion, or manipulation. 

Sexual violence and abuse is any behaviour of a sexual nature which is unwanted and takes place without consent or understanding. 

Sexual assault  is defined as: a person intentionally penetrating the vagina or anus of another person with an object, or part of the body other than the penis, without their consent, and without having reasonable belief in consent. Rape is when someone has penetrative sex with another person against their will. This includes vaginal, anal and oral penetration. Sexual assault covers any other sort of sexual contact and behaviour that is unwanted, ranging from touching to any other activity if it is sexual. 

Sexual harassment is any unwanted behaviour of a sexual nature that you find offensive or which makes you feel distressed, intimidated or humiliated. 

What is Hate Crime?

Answer: 'Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.' (CPS Definition, link here:

Where can I find examples of behaviour which come under misconduct?

Information for all students and staff can be found in the Misconduct General Guidance document. 

Anonymous Disclosure Tool

What is the Anonymous Disclosure Tool?

The tool allows staff, students and external visitors of King's to anonymously disclose incidents of bullying, harassment, sexual misconduct or hate crime. It is an online form which helps us to monitor the prevalence of incidents that take place and understand the impact of initiatives run by the King’s and KCLSU.

NOTE: This is NOT a reporting mechanism. No reports can be made anonymously and we cannot begin a formal misconduct process.

How is the information from the anonymous form used?

The information provided through anonymous reports may enable the university to examine patterns of bullying, harassment, sexual misconduct or hate crime. Data will be aggregated and not published unless there are sufficient responses to reasonably de-identify data.

How is the data stored?

All data is stored securely and confidentially on an online database which is accessible to members of the Harassment Adviser Network Team.

Who has access to this information?

Access to the raw data in the forms is limited to the Diversity & Inclusion team. Summary reports containing trend information can be used to inform anti bullying, harassment, sexual misconduct and hate crime activity within King's.

How do we ensure that you remain anonymous?

You won’t be asked your name, or contact details and we will NOT contact you.

If you have any further questions, email

Formal Reporting 

How do I report an incident? 

In the first instance, students should attempt to resolve any issues informally and locally with the relevant person, at the earliest opportunity, if you feel able to and it is appropriate. We understand this is often not possible and can be intimidating. 

If no satisfactory resolution can be reached, the student may escalate their complaint to Stage Two. Although not obliged, students are expected to wait for the outcome of a Stage One Complaint before escalating their case.

Students are encouraged to seek advice both prior to and during the use of the procedure from any of the following sources:

  • their Personal Tutor or Graduate Tutor;
  • a Student Advisor;
  • Disability Support;
  • the Diversity and Inclusion Team;
  • KCLSU Advice;
  • Student Conduct & Appeals;
  • a programme or student representative;
  • their PhD or project supervisor;
  • the Centre for Doctoral Studies;
  • a nominated person in the relevant service area, eg in Students & Education, Estates & Facilities, Library Services and Information Technology Services as appropriate;
  • Residences Services Manager;
  • Assigned mentors. 

Formal reporting is when an incident cannot be dealt with informal procedures and requires formal action. This can be done by emailing the Student Conduct and Appeals Office – All formal reports are made as a Student Complaints form (Stage 2 Complaint).  

What is a Student Complaints form (Stage 2 Complaint)? 

Stage 2 Complaints are formal comaplaints made to the College by a student, using the Student Complaints form. 

The form should be submitted to Student Conduct & Appeals for a formal investigation to be undertaken. The outcome of the investigation will normally be communicated to the student within 21 days of receipt.

How do I report an incident in King's Residences? 

If you an incident occurs when you are in any of King's halls of residence, or is related to halls of residence, please speak to your Residence Welfare Lead. Information on their contact details and further information on wellbeing in halls is available here:

What if I need to reporting incidents at a King’s partner organisation?

If the incident occurs at the site of one of our partner sites, you should inform your Clinical Adviser, Link Lecturer or King’s Account Manager who will be able to explore the issues raised and advise on the appropriate steps which could be taken. If you are a medical student on a clinical placement you can raise a concern via the online Raising Concerns form. 

How do I report an incident whilst I’m studying abroad?

If an incident occurs whilst you are studying or working abroad as part of your King’s studies, you should inform the local police and a member of staff in the international office at your host university or main supervisor at your workplace. You should also let either your King’s Personal Tutor or your Study Abroad Tutor know, as well as the Study Abroad Office, so they can ensure you are in receipt of the appropriate support from King’s. Contact the Study Abroad Office on 44 207 848 7385 or study

Do I have to attend the hearing?

Attendance at a hearing is not compulsory, but it is in your interests to attend a hearing and the College would strongly encourage you to do so if you are able. The KCLSU will usually accompany you to hearings if you request it, and may represent you at a hearing if you are unable to attend. To arrange this, you should contact the KCLSU on or telephone 0207 848 1588.

I cannot attend the hearing. Can I have the hearing on another date?

If you are unable to attend the hearing you should e-mail the Student Conduct & Appeals Office on immediately. If you would prefer to attend the hearing but are unable to do so on the scheduled date you should e-mail the Student Conduct & Appeals Office and request a deferral of your hearing, stating the reason(s) why you are unable to attend on the scheduled date. On receipt of this request consideration will be given as to whether a deferral may be granted. Please note however that Committee hearings are complex to organise and deferrals are normally only granted in exceptional circumstances. 

Can I bring my parents/friends to the hearing?

You may be accompanied to the hearing by a family member or a friend (either from inside or outside the College) but that person will not be allowed to speak on your behalf. However, the Chair of the Committee will have the discretion to consider representations from you for your friend/family member to make a statement at the hearing. 

Who will be sitting on the Committee?

The Committee will comprise of a Chair, at least one (usually two) academic members of staff from a Department other than the one which has submitted your case, and a student member. In Disciplinary Committee hearings, a member of the College (usually the Student Conduct & Appeals Manager) will present the case to the Committee. 

I have received the Committee documentation via e-mail. Am I supposed to print it out?

No. The Student Conduct & Appeals Office will usually send you a hard copy of the Committee documentation, unless instructed otherwise. 

I am really worried about my hearing and don’t know what to do.

The KCLSU are on hand and are highly experienced in supporting students who are going through a misconduct process. The KCLSU will accompany you to a hearing should you wish, and may also represent you at a hearing in the event that you are unable to attend. In addition, the College has a number of support services, including the Compass, Counselling Services and your Personal Tutor. You should avail yourself of some or all of these support systems. 

I have examinations coming up but I’ve been invited to a hearing. What should I do?

If you have been invited to a Committee hearing which is to be held on a date on or around an examination you should contact the Student Conduct & Appeals Office to discuss your situation.

I’m not happy with the outcome of the Misconduct Committee, what can I do?

You may submit an appeal against the findings of the Misconduct Committee if you wish to challenge its decision; however there are set grounds that an appeal can be submitted on, which are set out on the Misconduct Committee Appeal Form and in the Regulations. Appeals based on disagreement alone are not permitted. The Misconduct Appeal Form should be submitted within 14 days of the Committee outcome to the Student Conduct and Appeals Office, by email. You should normally receive a decision within 60 days of receipt. If you have not received a decision within this timeframe, please contact the Student Conduct and Appeals Office for an update on your case. 

I’m not happy with the final decision of the College, what can I do?

If you have exhausted the College’s internal procedures and are dissatisfied with the final decision, you may escalate your case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) for an independent review to be undertaken. 

Further information on the OIA can be found here


student conduct and appeals office
Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2020 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454