Diversity and Inclusion are cornerstones of King’s Strategic Vision 2029. A key guiding principle of this vision is to create an inclusion environment where all individuals are valued and able to succeed.
King’s Race Equality Charter Mark bronze submission highlighted a lack of role models for BME staff and students and that significant under-representation negatively impacts on their sense of belonging, academic identity and aspirations to pursue an academic career - 8% of King’s professoriate are BME of this group 0.6% are Black. Professional Services staff face a concrete ceiling in progression to the most senior grades with BME people making up only 6.8% of our most senior PS staff.
Developing and supporting diverse talent and inclusive leadership is a key priority for improving this and advancing race equality for staff and students. King’s has committed to send three members from our King’s community to take part in StellarHE a targeted leadership development programme to support Black and Minority Ethnic academics, researchers, and Professional Services staff. The programme is for staff who aspire to operate at a senior, strategic level here at King’s, and contributes to our institutional commitment to advance race equality.
Over a year-long, externally facilitated programme, participants from King’s will be supported to explore authenticity and diversity as a leadership strength alongside a cohort of peers from across the sector.
If you are interested in participating in the 2019/20 StellarHE cohort you will need to submit an application and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 on Tuesday 5th November 2019.
Eligibility criteria for StellarHE
Applying for Stellar HE at King’s
- StellarHE is targeted at Black Minority Ethnic people (BME),
- StellarHE is targeted at middle and senior managers – King’s welcomes applications from staff currently in roles grade 6 and above,
- It is essential you are available for all the following dates:
- 17 January 2020, 28-29 January 2020, 14 - 15 March 2020, 16-17 May 2020.
- Your Faculty/Division commits to contributing £1,500 to cost, plus travel expenses
Selecting Stellar HE Participants at King’s
- Complete Stellar HE’s application form (can be found here: https://www.stellarhe.com/enrol)
- Provide a personal statement
- Provide a supporting statement from your line manager which should include:
- Confirmation of the details given by the applicant
- A short statement of the applicant’s suitability for the programme
- Confirmation that they will be available for a briefing session by teleconference on either 20 or 21 January 2020.
- Should also confirm contribution of £1500 (+ expenses)
Please return a completed application to email@example.com before 17:00 on Tuesday 5th November 2019
Supporting StellarHE Applicants & Participants at King’s:
- King’s sponsorship of participants in StellarHE 2019/20 is limited to three places. These will be awarded on a competitive basis if more than three applications are received.
- Where a department/faculty or directorate can fully cover the cost of participation (£4,194 + expenses) their candidate is guaranteed a place (in addition to the three noted above).
- After the 5 November 2020 deadline, a panel chaired by Sarah Guerra (Director D&I) will review applications and select 3 participants based on the application’s ability to demonstrate the positive impact(s) of participation for a) the individual and their career, b) their team/department/King’s, c) race equality at King’s.
- Applicants will be notified of an outcome via email w/c 18 November 2019
- Stellar HE participants who are parents & carers will be eligible for further financial support from Carers’ Career Development Fund.
- Staff members on fixed term contracts can apply for StellarHE as long as their contract continues at least 6 months after the programme has finished (or they can provide evidence it will be extended)
- Any costs incurred by participation in the programme (e.g. travel) will need to be covered locally by the supporting department/faculty/division.
- For more information on StellarHE and Race Equality at King’s please contact firstname.lastname@example.org