King’s Department of Biochemistry was first constituted in 1958, but the study of the molecular basis of life at King’s dates back to the foundation of the discipline.
King’s researchers played a key role in its birth, when Rosalind Franklin and Maurice Wilkins used X-ray analysis to demonstrate the double helix structure of DNA.
Today their heirs in the Department of Biochemistry are leading research in a rich variety of areas, from structural studies of biomolecular function, to understanding how tissues develop, function and respond to infection, ageing or environmental toxins.
King’s pioneers in biochemistry include:
Rosalind Franklin (1920 -1958)
Jean Hanson (1919 – 1973)
Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins (1861 – 1947)
Sir John Turton Randall (1905-1984)
Maurice Wilkins (1916 -2004)