A data management plan is a formal document that outlines how your data will be looked after during the lifetime of your research project and beyond.
The content of a data management plan will vary but you will typically be asked to provide information about:
- the volume and type(s) of data you will generate
- how you will ensure that your data is well organised and adequately documented
- how you will make sure that your data is ethically and legally compliant
- where your data will be stored and backed up during the lifetime of the project
- how you will preserve your data and make it available for others to reuse (where appropriate) in the long term
- who will be responsible for looking after your data during and after the project and what resources will be needed