SPIN - the Scale of Pain INtensity (SPIN)
Scale of Pain Intensity (SPIN)
The purpose of the SPIN Screen is:
- To screen for and document any pain symptoms in patients admitted to the unit
- To use the SPIN to describe their general level of pain
- To identify the appropriate measure to record pain symptoms serially.
Numbered Graphic Rating Scale (NGRS)
The NGRS is displayed on a laminated card on the opposie side of the SPIN page. It measures 10 cm, with numbered increments every 1 cm. Score range 0-10. Score range 0-5 (a multiplier of 2 may be applied to the DISCs data to make it compatible with NGRS data).
- Diana Jackson, Sandra Horn, Paula Kersten and Lynne Turner-Stokes, Development of a pictorial scale of pain intensity for patients with communication impairments: initial validation in a general population (PDF, 262kb), Clin Med 2006;6:580–5
- Lynne Turner-Stokes, Rebecca Disler, Asa Shaw and Heather Williams, Development of a pictorial scale of pain intensity for patients with communication impairments: initial validation in a general population, Screening for pain in patients with cognitive and communication difficulties: evaluation of the SPIN-screen (PDF, 382kb), Clin Med 2008;8:393–8