14 November 2023
King's Supervisory Excellence Award Winners 2023
We are delighted to announce the winners of the 2023 King’s Supervisory Excellence Awards and the new Mentoring & Support Awards.
We received over 200 nominations from postgraduate research students for the Supervisory awards and 40 for the Mentoring & Support awards. Winners were selected for their dedication to supporting research students by faculty panels.
The Faculty winners were:
- Faculty of Arts & Humanities: Professor Hye-Kyung Lee & Dr Eliot Michaelson
- King’s Business School: Dr Ricardo Rodrigues
- Faculty of Dentistry, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences: Dr Cynthia Andoniadou & Professor Abigail Tucker
- Dickson Poon School of Law: Professor Megan Bowman & Professor Michael Schillig
- Faculty of Life Science & Medicine: Professor Serena Counsel & Professor Shanta Persaud
- Faculty of Natural, Mathematical & Engineering Sciences: Dr Elizabeth Black
- Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience: Professor Elizabeth Bradbury
- Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care: Dr Maria Duaso
- Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy: Dr Christine Cheng
Professor Rebecca Oakey, Dean for Doctoral Studies said,
“Dr Elizabeth Black was selected as the overall award winner based on her willingness to adapt to the needs of her PhD Students and her dedication helping them develop as independent researchers with a good work life balance.”
The awards ceremony took place on Tuesday 7 November and was a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the success of our winners and highlight the dedication and professionalism of the over 2,500 research degree supervisors across King’s.
Professor Bashir Al-Hashimi CBE FRS FREng, Vice President Research & Innovation, said
"King’s annual Supervisory Excellence Awards is an opportunity to share the exemplary record of supervision across King’s and demonstrates the high level of commitment that our supervisors give in terms of research excellence, support and pastoral care, and I would like to thank them."
Many supervisors invest significant time, care and attention in supporting their research students. Additionally, there are many additional staff who support research students along their PhD journey. We have therefore instituted the new Mentoring & Support Awards to recognize this latter group of individuals.
Dr Nigel Eady, Director, Centre for Doctoral Studies, presented the first Mentoring and Support Awards to winners: Dr Debbie Robson, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, Sharwari Verma, Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine and Dr Melissa Washington-Nortey, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience.
Thank you to all King’s staff who support our postgraduate researchers.
About the Awards
The Centre for Doctoral Studies runs the annual Supervisory Excellence Awards which were inaugurated in academic year 2006/7 as an annual prize to recognise and celebrate the role that supervisors play in King's the success of the 4,500 research students that are registered at King’s.
In this story
- Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine
- Faculty of Natural, Mathematical & Engineering Sciences
- Faculty of Arts & Humanities
- King’s Business School
- Faculty of Dentistry, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences
- The Dickson Poon School of Law
- Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care
- Centre for Doctoral Studies
- Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience