Professor Anne Goldgar
Professor of Early Modern History
+44 (0)20 7848 1085 Email email@example.com Address
Department of History
King’s College London
London WC2R 2LS
Anne Goldgar is a Professor in Early Modern European History, and has taught in the Department since 1993. Prior to this she was a Research Fellow at Clare Hall Cambridge, an assistant professor of history and Art and Sciences Faculty Fellow at New York University and was a Teaching Fellow at Harvard. Anne is a graduate of Princeton and completed both her A.M. and PhD at Harvard.
Research interests and PhD supervision
- Cultural history and Social history in Early Modern Europe
Anne Goldgar specialises in seventeenth and eighteenth century European cultural and social history, especially of the Netherlands and of Francophone culture across Europe. She is also interested in print culture, the culture of collecting, and the interaction of society, art and science. Her latest book is about the ways in which tulipmania reflected deep anxieties about the transformation of Dutch society in the Golden Age and is entitled Tulipmania: Money, Honor and Knowledge in the Dutch Golden Age (University of Chicago Press, 2007).
Anne welcomes applications for PhD topics related to any of her research interests.
For more details, please see her full research profile.
- Anne Goldgar (2008) 'Vincencio Juan de Lastanosa, Tulips, and Seventeenth-Century Collecting', in The Gentleman, the Virtuoso, the Inquirer: Vincencio Juan de Lastanosa and the Art of Collecting in Early Modern Spain pp. 194-218 [Chapter]
- Anne Goldgar (2007) 'L’Europe savante et ses espaces au XVIIIe siècle', in Les Lieux de Savoir I (Espaces et Communautés) pp. 964-988 [Chapter]
- Anne Goldgar (2007) 'Poelenbusch's Garden: Art, Flowers, Networks, and Knowledge in Seventeenth-Century Holland', in In His Milieu: Essays on Netherlandish Art in Memory of John Michael Montias pp. 183-192 [Chapter]
- Anne Goldgar (2007) Tulipmania: Money, Honor, and Knowledge in the Dutch Golden Age Chicago: University of Chicago Press
[Authored Book in print]
- Anne Goldgar, Robert I Frost (2004) Institutional culture in early modern society Leiden ; Boston: Brill [Authored Book in print]