Outreach in the Department of Chemistry
We are passionate about creating a diverse and inclusive culture within our department. We have an equal split of male and female undergraduate students and more than 70% of our students are BME. We want to make sure that we represent the cultural and ethnic diversity that surrounds us in the heart of central London whilst providing a stimulating learning environment. In order to do this, we are trying to create close collaborations with local schools and form lasting relationships with students to support them on their academic journeys into higher education.
Our aims are to:
- Students who are unsure about pursuing science to A Level/university/careers
- Students from non-traditional backgrounds
- Students from socio-economically deprived areas and schools
- Using relevant, topical activities to help students and teachers understand the world around them
- Options open to them with respect to careers in science
- Providing free, curriculum linked, practical work experience opportunities
- Delivering personal statement workshops
- Maintaining a relationship with students and schools to ensure we are meeting your needs
The Department of Chemistry holds a series of events during the year, aiming to bring the excitement of chemistry closer to the general public and to inspire budding young chemists.
Please see individual pages for more details about each of the events.
For any questions relating to any Outreach activities in the Department of Chemistry, please contact Dr Helen Coulshed.
Please see the Faculty of Natural & Mathematical Science's outreach page for more information about Faculty activities.