Professor Maria Alvarez
Professor of Philosophy
Tel +44 (0)20 7848 2383
Address Room 703, Philosophy Building
King's College London
London WC2R 2LS
Research interests and PhD supervision
Before coming to King’s, Maria Alvarez was a lecturer at the University of Southampton, having previously taught at the Universities of Oxford and Reading.
- Philosophy of action, including the metaphysics and explanation of actions
- Reasons for action, normativity
- Agent causation, agential powers
- Abilities, choice, freedom and moral responsibility
- ‘Are Character Traits Dispositions?’, in The Philosophy of Action, Anthony O’Hear ed., Royal Institute of Philosophy Supplements, Cambridge University Press, (Forthcoming 2017).
- ‘Reasons for Action, Acting for Reasons and Rationality’, Synthese, 2016 – Online first, DOI, 10.1007/s11229-015-1005-9.
- ‘Ryle on Motives and Dispositions’, in Ryle on Mind and Language, D. Dolby (ed.), Palgrave Macmillan (2015), pp. 74-96. ISBN 9780230360938.
- ‘Agency and Two-way powers’, Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, Vol CXIII , Issues 1; 2013, pp.101-121.
- Kinds of Reasons: An Essay in the Philosophy of Action. Oxford University Press. 2010.
Expertise and public engagement
- Philosophy of Mind and Action