Registering Your Account
Registering your account ensures that it can be protected with Multi Factor Authentication (MFA)*, and that you can quickly and easily reset your password at any time, without having to contact the IT Service Desk.
You must register your account within 30 days.
Accounts that haven't been registered will receive a reminder and will be disabled 7 days later if not registered in that time. To reactivate a disabled account you will need to contact the IT Service Desk and provide proof of identity.
How to register
Throughout this process, when prompted to enter your username, this should be email@example.com rather than firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please ensure that you log out of any other Microsoft Institutional portal or use an incognito browser to complete your setup.
- Go to mfasetup.kcl.ac.uk
- Login using your email@example.com
- Follow the steps to register
- If you wish to use the Microsoft Authenticator App (recommended) you will need to download the app on to your phone. It is important that if you choose this method of authentication that you do not delete this app after the initial set up as this will be required for subsequent authentication requests.
- If you wish to set up text or phone alerts, instead of using the app, select ‘I want to set up a different method’ when presented with the Microsoft Authenticator screen.
* Further information about MFA and how to register is available on the Digital Skills Hub
One of the requirements of account registration is to confirm alternate contact details; either a phone number*, personal email address (or both). These can be used to confirm your identity, for example, in the event you have forgotten your King’s password. This is similar to the authentication process that you would use for online banking, and other online services such as Amazon.
Any personal data provided during the registration process is encrypted and secured. It is used for the purpose of verifying your identity in relation to your King’s account and for no other purpose, by either Microsoft or King’s College London. The system is automated and does not require human interaction from either King’s IT or Microsoft.
Further information on data usage and privacy within Microsoft can be found on the Privacy at Microsoft pages.
For further information on data privacy within King’s, please read the following Privacy Notices that can be found on the King's website and intranet.
*Please be aware that in the event that you require a password reset, you will need to accept a phone call from the number you provide. This means if you provide your desk phone number, you will need to be at your desk to reset your password.
Contact the IT Service Desk
Available to help you 24/7, 365 days a year at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7848 8888