Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Accommodation Disability Provision

How to apply for ADP

We want to welcome you into your new home with confidence. If you have a disability, health concerns or other requirements, we are here to help. If you give us the right information when you apply for accommodation, we’ll be better equipped to find a room that suits you.

King’s Residences endeavour to make reasonable adjustments to support individuals who, due to disability, a long-term medical condition or sensory or physical impairment, require adapted accommodation or a particular location to help them participate fully and enjoy a fulfilling university experience, in line with the Equality Act 2010.

Students talking


King's inclusive living

In order to ensure your needs can be met, it is essential that you disclose your requirements when you apply for King’s College accommodation using the portal system. If you do not let us know until after you have applied, we cannot guarantee that a suitable room will be available.

If the nature of your condition means special adaptations are not necessary, you will be able to book your room online using our online booking system.  

Examples of things you can self-select include:  


  • Being on a particular floor 
  • Having an en-suite
  • Being a specific distance from campus
  • Having a fridge in your room for medical purposes (when you book you will have an option to request one – subject to receipt of sufficient medical evidence)

If you require an accessible room or room adjustments, you are required to complete the ADP form at the registration stage of the booking process. Once your requirements are received, the Allocations team will liaise with KCL Disability services to confirm any necessary adjustments.


Examples of things you can apply for:

  • An accessible room and bathroom (e.g. if you use a wheelchair or have other health or mobility problems)
  • Adapted equipment and furniture (e.g. raised bed/handrails or adjustable desk)
  • A small personal fridge (e.g. to store medication)
  • A vibrating pillow for fire alarm purpose (e.g. if you are hard of hearing)
  • An assistance animal - we will require formal evidence from a doctor before we can process a request of this nature. Please see our Assistance Animal and Emotional Support Animal policies for further information. 

If any of these examples apply to you or if there’s anything else you need to tell us about which may affect what type of accommodation you are offered, please make sure you let us know when you apply through the King’s Residences Portal.

International students

If your medical certificates are from overseas, you will need to have these translated to English by an official translator and provide a self-funded translation certificate. See your embassy for a list of authorised agencies. The original (untranslated) document must also be provided, and this must be signed by the author. Documents sent over that are not translated will be rejected.

What you will need to provide

When applying for the Accommodation Disability Provision on the accommodation portal you will be asked to describe any medical conditions or disabilities and provide us with medical evidence to support this. Please email any relevant medical evidence to If your evidence is more than 1 year old, we may ask you to provide a new letter from your GP confirming that the contents of the old letter are still valid and include any changes in your condition.

If it is not clear from your medical evidence or application what provisions are necessary, we may ask for further evidence for clarification on whether your condition or disability requires a specific type of room. We may ask you to clarify how the condition affects you in day to day life and whether your condition or disability necessitates a specific type of room (ensuite, accessible etc) and whether any adaptations or specialist support is required.

Once you have completed the above steps, your requirements will be reviewed by the Accommodation Disability Provision panel, which includes members of the disability support team. You will be emailed the outcome of your application once it has been reviewed.

It is helpful if the evidence includes:

  • Your diagnosis (or diagnoses)
  • How the condition affects you in day to day life
  • How long you have had the condition and whether it is likely to change over time
  • Clarification of whether your condition or disability necessitates a specific type of room (ensuite, accessible etc) and whether any adaptations or specialist support is required

If you can only provide evidence of the medical condition or disability without the above points, we may ask you for further information to support your application.

All data will be processed in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

What does not require a disability provision?

  • Personal preferences for a room type or location which are not based on a health, welfare or mobility reason
  • Being a vegan or vegetarian, or any other dietary restrictions which are not medically required.
  • Personal financial circumstances

Requests we cannot accommodate

  • Any condition that requires staff intervention
  • Flats or blocks for one specific gender - all accommodation is mixed gender
  • Ensuite accommodation for religious or cultural reasons
  • Designated quiet accommodation
  • Specialist desk chairs (this is classified as study equipment and may be funded by Disabled Students’ Allowances – if you need help with this, please contact the Disability Support Team)
  • Alcohol free accommodation

Other services at King’s

King’s Disability Support provides advice and support on reasonable adjustments in learning, teaching and assessment. Disability Support can also provide advice on what accommodation arrangements it would be reasonable for you to request.

In addition, if you would like to visit the College and our accommodation, this can also be arranged with Disability Support.

Upon arrival at residences we have an in-house Welfare support team that are experienced in pastoral care and are here to help you settle and provide comfort during your residence.

King’s also provides support via Student Services and your personal tutor. In addition, KCLSU can also help you navigate these support services whenever you need. See their useful information for parents, guardians and friends and self-help resources.
counselling feature

Explore King’s Residences



Explore our range of residences to suit all budgets and lifestyles.



King's Residences provide an in-house welfare team at every residence.