Rent Setting at King's
King’s Residences and KCLSU work together in a unique setting to discuss how rents will be set for the following academic year, taking into account utility costs (heating, water, electricity, WI-FI), the service costs (24/7 reception, security and pastoral care staff), the features of the property, the location of each site and transport costs to campus, where applicable.
KAAS Eligibility Criteria
- You must be a full-time undergraduate student, first-year or returning in the 22/23 academic year
- Confirmation that your household income is below £42,875 per annum (find out more about household income and student funding here)
- A statement explaining the reasons you feel you should be allocated a KAAS room
- Applications submitted without this information will not be considered.
KAAS Rooms Application Process
A limited quota of KAAS rooms is available in the following properties:
- Stamford Street Apartments
- Great Dover Street Apartments
- Wolfson House
- Angel Lane
- Hayloft Point
The following properties are not included in the KAAS scheme:
- Canada Water
- Moonraker Point
- Julian Markham House
- Orchard Lisle & Iris Brook
Please note, you may be required to provide documentation to support your application for KAAS, and applicants will be given 1 week from the day of receiving an invitation to secure their accommodation. Should the applicant fail to book a KAAS room within a week of receiving their invitation, the KAAS offer will be withdrawn and the applicant will be asked to book a room at the published rate.
In the event of us receiving more applications than our current availability, we will:
1. Disconsider all incomplete applications (i.e. missing the personal statement or household income information).
2. Put on hold all applications that are eligible to or currently in receipt of bursaries available at King’s, and those declaring household income over the set threshold. These applications may be considered once all other applications have been processed and if there are KAAS rooms still available at that stage.
Please note that you may not be approved for KAAS if all places have been offered to applicants in a higher priority group, even if you are eligible. This is because we must work within the quotas set each year. If more rooms become available, we may contact applicants that had not originally been offered a KAAS room to inform them of the change in availability.
If you are approved for a KAAS room, you will be able to view the available rooms at the discounted room rate.
If you successfully apply for KAAS retrospectively, you may be asked to move room.
The remaining applications will be allocated in the following order of priority:
Priority 1: care experienced applicants; students estranged from family; and/or applicants with a declared disability.
Priority 2: applicants below the household income threshold, not in receipt of King’s bursary and based outside London
Priority 3: applicants below the household income threshold, not in receipt of King’s bursary and based in London
Priority 4: applicants below the household income threshold, in receipt of King’s bursary and based outside London
Priority 5: applicants below the household income threshold, in receipt of King’s bursary and based in London
Requests for reconsideration
If your circumstances have changed since registering for accommodation, you can ask us to reconsider your application. However, there is no guarantee you'll be approved, particularly if all KAAS rooms have already been allocated or if you have failed to submit the required information.
Remember, if you have received KAAS in the past, you are not necessarily guaranteed to qualify again.
To request to be reconsidered, please read the KAAS Reconsideration Request Policy carefully and send the required information to email@example.com.