One of our faculty's core priorities is to develop and nurture the type of collaborative environment which enhances opportunities & wellbeing for all members of our community. The values which underpin this priority - diversity, equity, transparency, respect & inclusion - are fully supported by myself and the Faculty Executive Board members, and the ongoing work of the EDI team is absolutely integral to creating and facilitating this culture for our staff and students.
Professor Michael Escudier, Executive Dean
The Faculty of Dentistry, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences is committed to embedding equality, diversity and inclusion into everything we do here – from education and training of the new generation of dentistal graduates and oral health researchers, to fostering a culture of collaboration, respect and support across all staff and student groups within the Faculty.
We take a holistic approach to provide a safe, respectful, and inclusive working, learning, and research environment for all. Diversity is crucial for enabling world leading research, impact and teaching. Working alongside people with different experiences and perspectives encourages innovation and creativity. It brings exposure to a breadth of knowledge, working styles and techniques, and it prompts us to develop ideas and consider decisions from multiple points of view.
Our current priorities include
- Review existing data, and where necessary, collect additional data on disability, and socio-economic background, amongst staff and students and on the support needed/provided at Faculty and College level.
- Support the retention of FoDOCS’ Silver Athena SWAN award, and to make considerations at the intersections.
- Continue to embed EDI into practices/committees /data /processes (e.g. recruitment, promotion, sabbatical, induction).
- Collect and collate data on students from disadvantaged backgrounds to determine, and meet, their accessibility and attainment needs.
- Work with and support existing student and staff-led groups internal to, and external to, the Faculty working to forward EDI agendas.
- To ensure that all teaching and learning is inclusive and accessible.