About the IoPPN Pre-Doctoral Researcher Network
The IoPPN Pre-Doctoral Researcher Network was inspired by the work of the Addictions Research Assistant Network (ARA). The network provides opportunities for learning & career development to Pre-Doctoral IoPPN Staff. It is also a great way to network and meet others in the field, as well as providing a platform to share concerns and ideas with senior staff.
Previous events have included:
• 2 x annual ‘Careers and Networking for Research Assistants and Pre-Doctoral Staff’ events
• Perfecting Personal Statements
• IoPPN Pre-Docs CV Workshop
• Applying for clinical psychology training*
• Course selection in Clinical Psychology*
• Applying for PhD funding*
• What does a PhD project look like?
• Completing a part-time job alongside a full-time job*
• Different routes through academia*
• Undertaking a PhD and Clinical Psychology doctorate*
*Please see ‘speaker notes’ tab below for summary of the speaker notes from these events.
Research Assistants in Addictions Department
If you would like to sign up to the IoPPN Pre-Doctoral Researcher Network e-mail mailing list please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also keep up to date with their activities by following them on Twitter @IoPPN_PreDocs.
To read the speaker notes, click HERE
- Addictions Departmental Meetings- the Addictions Department holds a quarterly Departmental meeting. These meetings are used to keep staff up-to-date of any departmental developments. There is a question and answer session during the meeting where staff and students are encouraged to ask questions.
- Addiction Departmental Seminars - a great opportunity to feel like part of the department, get to know people and their research, and to present! Contact Michael Lynskey if you would like to present.
Aspiring Psychologists Group- Open to anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in Clinical Psychology. Group arranges regular talks, which often cover the application process for the doctorate in Clinical Psychology, including talks from local courses, as well as current issues, research and approaches in Psychology. If you would like to be a member of the group, please email email@example.com to join the mailing list. Also see https://www.facebook.com/KCLaspiringpsychologists/ for their Facebook page.
- Journal Club - http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/depts/ps/events/index.aspx
- Grand Round- http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/depts/ps/events/index.aspx
- Departmental Coffee Mornings – these are held on the second Wednesday of every month at 10am.
- Qualitative Special Interest Group- contact firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
- Various events on at the IoPPN - http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/news/events/index.aspx
Becoming a volunteer allows you to:
- use your free time in an enjoyable and positive way
- share your interests, knowledge and experience
- explore career options or a career change
- learn new skills and gain valuable experience for work or further education
- get involved in your community and gain a sense of achievement
- meet new people and gain references for future jobs
- support South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
Anyone interested in volunteering with the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust; please contact Isobel Mdudu email@example.com or 020 3228 3978 to request information, an application pack or further details.