There are different types of study spaces around libraries, the information below gives and overview of what we offer.
Study with Respect
Libraries & Collections are here to make your experience of studying in the library as comfortable and productive as possible. To help achieve this, it is important that everyone shows respect for others and the library itself.
- Respect those around you: treat your fellow users and library staff with respect and courtesy.
- Eat food in the right zones: cold food (that isn't disruptive to others e.g. smelly or noisy) can be eaten in the Quiet and Discuss zones, no food to be eaten in the Silent zones. Hot and cold lidded drinks are welcome, help us to keep our spaces clean, safe and free of mice.
- Share and be fair: please vacate your space for long breaks. If you are not using a PC, please leave that space free for others to use. (Belongings left unattended for longer than 30 minutes may be moved by staff if necessary to make space for others to study.)
- Pick up your valuables: Never to leave your valuables unattended, even for the shortest time as thefts can occur.
- Echo the silence: Please allow those who wish to study in silence in the Silent Zones the opportunity to do so.
- Care for the books: Please remember that library books are a shared resource and refrain from writing or highlighting in them.
- Talk quietly: Keep your voice low and conversations to a minimum, be aware of the noise you are making when leaving a Discussion zone (e.g. Group Study Room) into a Quiet zone (most areas within the libraries).
Are you in a quiet or silent zone and other people being too noisy?
Text the Noise Line on 07883303052, describing your location (library name and room) and we will respond as soon as possible. We will not text back unless we need to clarify your location.
‘Student talking loudly on phone, Maughan Library, room 2.59’
or ‘Large group chatting, WEC library, floor 2 open plan area’
This service is currently operating Monday to Friday between 09.00 – 19.00 and 12.00 - 16.00 on Saturday and Sunday.
(Service not available during Bank Holidays or over Winter/Easter breaks. Please note that St Thomas's is only staffed a few hours a week and we may be unable to act on your Noiseline message).