Our libraries are open for browsing, borrowing and study without the need to book before you visit. We have updated a lot of our policies and services for the new academic year, you can read a summary of them on our LibAnswers pages.
We are all responsible for protecting ourselves and each other. Help us all enjoy a safe environment by following the guidance in place on our campuses.
Wearing a face covering (unless you’re exempt) is recommended. The personal choice individuals make should be respected.
Study with Respect
Libraries & Collections are here to make your experience of studying in the library as comfortable and productive as possible. To help achieve this, it is important that everyone shows respect for others and the library itself.
- Respect those around you: treat your fellow users and library staff with respect and courtesy.
- Eat food outside the libraries: hot and cold lidded drinks are welcome, help us to keep our spaces clean, safe and free of mice.
- Share and be fair: please vacate your space for long breaks. If you are not using a PC, please leave that space free for others to use. (Belongings left unattended for longer than 30 minutes may be moved by staff if necessary to make space for others to study.)
- Pick up your valuables: Never to leave your valuables unattended, even for the shortest time as thefts can occur.
- Echo the silence: Please allow those who wish to study in silence in the Silent Zones the opportunity to do so.
- Care for the books: Please remember that library books are a shared resource and refrain from writing or highlighting in them.
- Talk quietly: Keep your voice low and conversations to a minimum, be aware of the noise you are making when leaving a Discussion zone (e.g. Group Study Room) into a Quiet zone (most areas within the libraries).
Are you in a quiet or silent zone and other people being to noisy?
Text the Noise Line on 07883303052, describing your location (library name and room) and we will respond as soon as possible. We will not text back unless we need to clarify your location.
‘Student talking loudly on phone, Maughan Library, room 2.59’
or ‘Large group chatting, WEC library, floor 2 open plan area’
This service is currently operating Monday to Friday between 09.00 – 19.00 and 12.00 - 16.00 on Saturday and Sunday.