On 4 November 1854, Florence Nightingale and 38 nurses departed for the Scutari Crimean War hospital in Turkey.
The public’s enthusiasm for her work there led to the creation in 1855 of a fund which Nightingale decided to use to establish a nursing training school.
By June 1856 the fund had raised £44,039 (equivalent to over £2 million today). In 1858-9, Nightingale chose St Thomas’ Hospital as the location for her school, with the first nurses starting training on 9 July 1860.
In 1991, it was amalgamated with the Olive Haydon School of Midwifery and the Thomas Guy & Lewisham School of Nursing, creating the Nightingale and Guy’s College of Nursing & Midwifery, and within a year the name changed to the Nightingale College of Health.
In 1993, the Nightingale College of Health combined with the King’s College Hospital School of Nursing at Normanby College and formed the Nightingale Institute.
By 1996, all staff and new students of the Nightingale Institute were fully integrated at King’s College London, and in 1998 the Nightingale Institute combined with the Department of Nursing Studies at King’s College London, becoming the Florence Nightingale Division of Nursing & Midwifery.
In 1999, the School was renamed the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing & Midwifery of King’s College London.
In 2010 the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing & Midwifery celebrated its 150th anniversary.
In 2014, the School was renamed the Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery.
In 2017 the Cicely Saunders Institute at King's moved from the Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine to join with the Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery. The Faculty was renamed the Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery & Palliative Care.
Anne-Marie Rafferty, Professor of Nursing Policy talks about Florence Nightingale and her legacy